Monday, May 18, 2015

Bring Me Barnabee!

Barnabee stole my heart 13 years ago and I have fell more in love with him as the years have passed. Barnabee was a present for my Great Uncle Vern. He lived on our family farm in Sauk Rapids, Minnesota living the life he loved farming. I think I have the blood and jeans of my Uncle Vern because his life is what I see for myself and everything about the farm was exactly how I pictured my future (with running water, of course). My Mom and I traveled over an hour to pick up his German Shepherd/Lab puppy for $50.00. We showed up to this home in the middle no where with chicken fencing up to separate the different mixed breed puppies they were breeding not to “sell” (I despise the word “sell” when it comes to animals. I believe adopt is more fitting) for the sake of keeping pure bread breeds actual pure bread but they were “selling” these puppies for money, obviously. Why else would you have a year filled with puppies of all different breeds, some 2, 3, 4 different breeds. Of course, at 11 that wasn’t a thought in my mind but now at 24, I am disgusted. I was just excited to pick up the puppy and keep him at our house until he was old enough to live with Uncle Vern. The breeder handed us the fluffiest, cutest little puppy and that was it… I was in love! This puppy (still not named) lived with my family and I until he was ready to live on the farm with Uncle Vern. It was bittersweet. Uncle Vern named him Barnabee (which I thought was goofy) but it was his dog. After that, we visited the farm often as we always did for Holidays and to visit. Barnabee was always so excited to see me. My Grandma said it was because he remembered me and my voice, I think so too. 12 years passed and unfortunately it was time for my Uncle Vern to give up the hardships of being a farmer and reside in a Assistant Living home which I think he deserved. He lived so long without essentials that we take for granted so moving into an apartment with an actual shower and toilet was special for him. He did have to make the tough decision to live the rest of his life without Barnabee and the rest of Barnabee’s life without my Uncle. My Grandma and Uncle decided it would be best that Barnabee went to live with Josh and I, which I was so honored and was hoping someday that would be the outcome. At 12 years old, Barnabee came to live with Josh and I in our brand new home (at the time with only 1 cat and 2 guinea pigs) where he would spend the rest of his remaining life being so spoiled with love, affection and treats. Although, moving from a farm where he had free roam and spent a majority of his life outdoors to living inside a home and could only go to the bathroom on a chain was an adjustment.



No comments:

Post a Comment