Monday, May 18, 2015

Deuce Got Me Loose!

Meet Deuce! My 1 year old American Staffordshire Terrier (Pit Bull) that is nothing short of a handful. My passion for animals started at birth but my passion for rescuing, training and rehabilitating started with Deuce. On April 30th, 2014 I adopted my FIRST ever Pit Bull from the Tri-County Humane Society in St. Cloud, Minnesota. Prior to adopting Deuce, I watched my fair share of Pit Bulls and Parolees, read information on the internet and articles in the paper (which 9 out of 10 times were negative) so therefore I thought I knew “everything” when it comes to the Pit Bull breed. I had been wanting an all white Pit Bull since becoming interested in the breed and specifically a female. I checked the local shelters website multiple times a day when FINALLY they posted a 3 months old American Staffordshire Terrier with no picture. I told myself “well, I’ll go look and see but I’m sure it is not all white”. At this time I had to tread lightly when it came to adopting another animals because our household was filled with 5 at the time (1 dog, 2 cats and 2 guinea pigs), plus money was tight. Well, worked ended at 5:00PM (I think I left at 4:55PM because the anticipation was killing me) and when I arrived, there he was. My all white baby Pit Bull with a “Little Rascals” brown eye to complete the package. Sure, he was a boy but at the time it didn’t matter to me. He was mine and no one else’s. So what did I do? I put a deposit on him, said my “see ya laters” and went home to my fiancĂ©, step-son and 5 other animals. I hinted that adding a puppy would really “complete” our family and would also hit the cap of animals owned in a single household in the city of St. Cloud. Josh, my fiancĂ©, wasn’t buying it but little did he know he was ours weather he agreed or not. The news that I put a deposit on Deuce (his original name) finally came out after a few cocktails at a mutual friend’s wedding and let’s just say, Josh wasn’t nearly excited as I was. A few days went by and Josh’s answer was no, no, no, no and a few more no’s. By this time, I already had Deagan on my team but both were being denied. Obviously, you know how this ends… he finally said YES! I bought everything a puppy would need and there I was, on my way to pick up my puppy. What I didn’t realize (but was stated in Deuces papers and description) was that we were about to be Deuce’s third home in his 3 shorts months of life. If I would have seen that, I don’t think it would have changed my mind but I may have raised an eyebrow. Well, the fairy tale ends and we lived happily ever after or so we thought we would.



No comments:

Post a Comment