Monday, May 18, 2015

Ear Infections Stink!

Ear infections — they are gross, smelly and annoying but unfortunately dogs and cats get them. 
How can you tell your animal has an ear infection? Well, the constant itching should give it away quite quickly but if not, you can smell them. My dog will scratch his ear, shake his head and you can see scratches from his nails which make the ear really red. These are all common symptoms that your animal has an ear infection. Ear infections are caused by bacteria and yeast built up on your animals ear. 
Like I’ve mentioned before, I am NOT a professional but I write on remedies that have helped my PERSONAL animals. With 4 animals (6 prior) going to the vet can be costly and not always necessary in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I have a special vet for each of my animals and when serious issues arise we take advantage of amazing Veterinarian professionals but such things like a simple ear infection — I first try a home remedy. 
What you need:
Ear Cleaning Solution (ask your vet or check your local pet store)
Cotton Balls
Q-Tips (I use the thicker baby safe q-tips)
Ear Relief Drops (I use Auro with the dropper)
First, I use the Cleaning Solution in their ear to clean out at bacteria build up. After I squirt it in their ear, I will massage and then take a cotton ball to get the excess cleaner. I then use a q-tip to get all the “junk” out of their ear (might need a couple). I then squirt some Ear Relief Drops deep in their canal (not too deep but deep enough that they won’t shake it out). I then spend about two minutes rubbing and massaging the ear so that relief drops get in their good. Obviously, do again on the other ear. I would recommend doing both ears even if you think the infection only lies in one. 
If your dogs ears don’t get better within two to three days, I would recommend taking them to your Vet. There could be an underlying issue such as ear mites (common in puppies). 
I can’t stress enough. I am not a professional but just a girl with a lot of experience with animals ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment