Monday, May 18, 2015

Happy Adopt-iversary Deucey!

April 30th, 2015 we celebrated Deucey’s Adopt-iversary! It was exactly 1 year to the date that we adopted our naughty boy but it’s been one of the best decisions for our family. 
It’s been a journey to say the least. What I thought was this cute little white Pit Bull turned out to be a very scared and distrusting puppy that not only HATED men but every time you raised a hand he instantly thought he would be reprimanded physically. In general, if you raised a hand he instantly went into defensive mode because he couldn’t bear to be hit, beaten or harmed anymore. I was scared, yes because at times he would get aggressive but more or less my heart hurt for the fact that he thought are intensions were not to love him but hurt him. 
I knew it would take times, lots of time for Deuce to ever trust us (or any humans) again and it did. It took months for Deuce to understand that we were here for the long run and weren’t going to give him up or hurt him like his other homes had. 
Enough of the negatives because these days Deuce is the happiest and most wiggliest dog in town! That tail goes 100 miles per hour at the site of his humans. He loves to cuddle and I mean LOVES. It’s true when they say Pit Bulls think they are lap dogs because Deuce sure does think he’s 7 pounds verse 70. He loves his brother Deagan although at times he can be a little too rough. They are both learning every day how to play with each other but it doesn’t stop the love they have for each other. Josh has also gotten quite fond of Deuce. I would say they are buds. Deuce doesn’t pass up a chance to cuddle with Josh on the couch. 
When it comes to Deuce physically, like I mentioned he’s a whopping 70 healthy pounds of PURE muscle. He literally has a 12 pack on his chest (it’s awesome). He stands about two feet high. He’s finally grew into his one goofy ear… kind of. Now it just kind of sticks up. 
Deuce has the silliest personality. He LOVES car rides. Seriously, if I let him out the door and I have a window open, he will jump through the window to get in my car. I’ve even drove around the block a couple times with him in the car just because he’s spoiled rotten. He loves to play fetch and with him toys but he doesn’t share well. He loves doggy daycare at both NC’s Doghouse and Le Dee Dogs, also, the local dog park. He wants to play… all. the. time! He knows how to sit, shake, lay down, kennel and bang-bang although when we have a crowd he likes to pretend he has no idea what I’m saying! He’s still learning how to walk on a leash but we’ve improved. 
Deuce has two feline siblings, April and Leo. April (our Diva) and Deuce have a love-hate relationship… they love to hate each other. Leo and Deuce wrestle constantly. I’ve tried to stop the madness but they have too much fun so I let them be in hopes no accidental bites or scratches happen. Then there’s Barnabee, our 13 year old German Shepherd x Lab that wasn’t too fond of having a puppy in the family. He was very content with being the only dog but he’s been VERY good at sharing the attention he receives with Deuce. Deuce is definitely that annoying little brother but there are times where I catch the two playing so it can’t be THAT bad. 
I feel as though Deuce has made me a better person. He’s taught me so much! I’ve learned that puppies are similar to babies but can run fast, bite hard and destroy EVERYTHING. Ok, it’s not THAT bad but he has taught me patience. Also, that not everyones past can reflect their future. He had proven that Pit Bull are amazing animals. He learned to love and trust again without holding a grudge against the only people he is suppose to trust in. Thank you, Tri-County Humane Society for blessing us with such an amazing companion. He has truly fulfilled our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment